Interested in submitting to Harmony Ink Press?
Harmony Ink Press is closed to general submissions at the present time. Calls for specific content types may be posted in the future, and the 2019 Young Author Challenge remains open for submissions.
CURRENT CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
- Harmony Ink Young Author Challenge 2019 | Deadline May 1, 2019 | More Information
Editorial Selection Criteria
- Novella (15-44,999 words) or Novel (45,000 words and up)
- LGBTQ+ primary character between the ages of 14 and 21
- Primary character shows significant personal growth through the course of the story
- Any subgenre with a fresh premise that explores any of the facets of young adult, teen, and new adult life
Sexual Content Guidelines
- Sexual content should be appropriate for the characters and the story
- Manuscripts may contain any level of sexual content; however, excessive, crude or extremely explicit descriptions will be rejected.
- Sex between a minor and an adult (whether consensual or abuse) will only be accepted if it is implied, off page, has realistic consequences, and overcoming the occurrence contributes to the growth of the character in a positive way.
- Harmony Ink Press will not publish gratuitous depictions of incest, rape, and other extreme material included for the express purpose of titillating the reader.
Formatting Your Submission
- Please follow these simple formatting guidelines. Our editors will thank you.
- Submissions will be accepted in .docx, .doc, and .rtf formats.
- Standard 12 pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins, .5 indent for the first line of each paragraph. 1.5 line spaces between lines. No tabs or spacing to indent, please!
- Please put the title of the work and the author's name in the header.
- All submissions must be spellchecked and edited for American English grammar and spelling. Regional words and slang are acceptable when appropriate.
- Harmony Ink Press edits works using The Chicago Manual of Style as its primary style reference. Editing your work to these standards prior to publication will greatly facilitate the publication process.
Submitting your book
- Please e-mail your submission to email@example.com.
- Please indicate New Adult in the subject line
Include the following in the body of the e-mail:
- Your legal name, pseudonym if applicable, and contact e-mail address.
- Working title, series name if applicable.
- Genre and manuscript length.
- General story description in two paragraphs
- Previous publications. (previous publishing experience is not necessary)
- Attach a short but complete story summary and/or synopsis.
- Attach the complete manuscript, for all lengths of works.
What you can expect from us
- We will acknowledge all submissions by e-mail in five to seven days.
- Submissions will be read by an editor and you will have a response in six to eight weeks.
- Electronic contracts are exchanged via e-mail.
- Novellas (15-44,999 words) are contracted to be published in digital formats.
- All novels (45,000 words and up) are contracted to be published in both digital and print formats.
- Novellas do not receive an advance and earn 40% royalties for digital sales.
- For novels, a $500-$1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for print sales.
Other Important Notes
- Harmony Ink Press is not currently accepting previously published work or previously self-published work.
- Partial manuscripts will be declined immediately.
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions. We will review your submission as quickly as we can, and we ask that you respect our editors’ time by not submitting your manuscript elsewhere until we have completed our review. Thank you for your consideration.
- We are currently not accepting manuscripts of fewer than 15,000 words unless they are submitted for inclusion in an announced anthology. Please check our news feed to see any open calls for submissions for upcoming anthologies.
- Copyright remains with the author.
- You can download a copy of our Editorial Policies for more information.